In need of Wasp nest removal?
European Wasps are an introduced species that have learned to co exist with humans. They are attracted to sweet drinks, fruit and meat.
WASP PEST CONTROL PREVENTION
- REMOVE food sources such as fallen fruit, and food scraps lying around your yard.
- DON’T leave pet food outside.
- Ensure rubbish bin lids are closed.
- Keep compost COVERED as rotting food is an attractive food source.
- Cover OPEN FOOD SOURCES at picnics and barbecues.
- DON’T DRINK out of cans or bottles if wasps have been sighted. Best to use clear plastic. Wasps are known to enter bottles and cans in search of sweets.
The European Wasp is roughly the same in size as a bee (10 – 15mm). Has fewer hairs and folds its wings back when in a relaxation state. The Queen Wasp has identical markings, however is much larger. The Queen European Wasp can be up to 20mm in length.
In order to destroy the colony you need to locate the nest. Wasps will fly in a direct line to the nest and will travel up to 500 meters scavenging for food.
Nests are located where shelter is available. Common locations are:
- Wall cavities
- Tree hollows
- Under roof tiles
- Retaining walls
If a European wasp is aggravated it will STING.If the nest is disturbed, the wasp releases a chemical which triggers the wasp to defend the nest.
Unlike the bee, a European wasp can sing multiple times. The sting causes a severe burning sensation and swelling around the immediate area.
In some cases a wasp sting can result a severe allergic reaction where immediate medical attention is required.
It is not recommended that you attempt to treat a wasp nest .Call a Northside pest control professional.